The Fernley City Council’s final 2026-27 budget, which was scheduled to go before the council May 20, includes the May 6 decision to reallocate $500,000 from the proposed Mayor’s Fishing Pond to repairs at the Out of Town Park.
The proposed final budget also includes the new chief operations officer, chief development officer, parks and recreation superintendent and public information officer positions the council also approved on May 6.
At that meeting, the council said the reallocation would allow the city to address long-standing needs at the Out of Town Park.
During the May 6 budget meeting, Finance Director Robert Carson said the tentative budget included $600,000 for improvements to the sports fields plus $80,000 for new lighting at the Out of Town Park.
Councilman Joe Mendoza said that by redirecting the $500,000 that had been budgeted for the fishing pond park, the city would have nearly $1.2 million to repair its sports fields.
“We could significantly create a safer place for the Out of Town Park, where the majority of the sports are being held at,” he said. “So I like that idea.”
Carson told the council that a list of projects that could be completed with the additional $500,000 would be included for consideration in the final budget at the May 20 meeting.
Citing public sentiment that the city should fix the parks it has before building a new one, the council supported the idea unanimously.
“Overwhelmingly, we’re being told to hold off on this fishing pond, especially with the amount of money we’re putting towards the Out of Town Park,” Councilman Albert Torres said. “One’s a want, one’s a need.”
Mayor Neal McIntyre, who first proposed the fishing pond during a strategic planning meeting in January 2025, said the fishing pond park would include a soccer field and a baseball field.
“Like Councilman Torres said, it’s something we want, but I also think we need it too, with the amount of sport activities we have for our youth,” McIntyre said. “Our fields are so overcrowded with use that these kids are out there practicing at 9 o’clock at night.”
McIntyre said he believes the addition of a parks and recreation superintendent and the $680,000 that had been allocated for the parks would make a big difference in their condition.
“But I also understand that theory about fixing what we have right now, so I appreciate the dialogue with everybody on what they see we should do,” he said. “I’m just thankful for the conversation.”
Mendoza asked whether the city might be able to incorporate a development agreement that would require developers who build homes in the area to help fund the pond. McIntyre said there are contractors who have agreed to dig the pond at no cost. He said the $500,000 would have paid for fields and infrastructure such as storm drains, restrooms and utilities.
Planning Director Michele Rambo said the city doesn’t have a mechanism for developers contributing to the cost of a park, but is attempting to create that kind of process through a park impact fee.








Comment
Comments