City bulking up after overwhelming turnout to first trash drop-off event
Robert Perea, The Fernley Reporter
After an overwhelming turnout that forced them to close both locations early last Sunday, the City of Fernley is taking steps to better handle the demand for the second of two trash drop-off events this Sunday.
City staff had to close both locations early last Sunday because their dumpsters were full at both the city Road Yard on Cottonwood Lane and the Out of Town Park.
The city will be hosting the event again this Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. To better handle the amount of trash that was brought, there will be an additional seven dumpsters provided this Sunday at the Out of Town Park and five more at the Road Yard.
A total of 24 volunteers showed up to help unload trash last week, but the City is looking for more volunteers to help increase the pace. These volunteers can be at either site at 9:30 am to sign up. However, the City cannot have minor volunteer without an adult present, and all volunteers must sign a waiver. Volunteers can also sign up early at the Building Department and complete the wavier before the event.
A few key things to note:
• At the site you will be asked to identify what is being placed.
• Residents will place their loads in containers as directed by the foreman.
• Anyone suspected of hauling for hire will be rejected.
• Refuse from any business will not be accepted therefore any load which appears to be commercial waste will be rejected.
• Bring gloves and be prepared to off load your rubbish.
• Confirm you have no Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) in your load. HHW is not accepted.
• Confirm the load size is no larger than a load which can be carried in a 1/2-ton pickup truck (this means no U-Hauls, truck and trailers, multiple trips, etc.) – the event should be equitable for all residents.
For those residents who have items to dispose of that are not accepted, the city is providing a handout with a list of locations that will accept them.
If you have questions regarding this event, or if you would like to volunteer to help, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call 775-784-7814.City Of Fernley Trash Resource Guide