WNC now awarding financial aid for fall semester
Courtesy Steve Yingling, Western Nevada College
Financial aid and procrastination aren’t a good mix.
With classes beginning soon at Western Nevada College, time is running out to take advantage of financial aid, including the Silver State Opportunity Grant.
WNC has more than $500,000 to award to students through the Silver State Opportunity Grant, and WNC’s Financial Aid Office has already started awarding money to qualified students.
In many cases, students will have their class fees (with enough funds for books) covered by the SSOG. They can receive as much as $5,500 for the school year.
“WNC is here to help students accomplish their goals and financial aid funds are still available,” WNC’s Director of Financial Assistance JW Lazzari said. “Individuals who are interested in enrolling should not delay and complete the enrollment and financial aid checklists as soon as possible.”
Importantly, individuals must meet certain criteria to be eligible for SSOG funding. They must:
- Enroll in a program of study leading to a degree or certificate.
- Enroll in at least 15 units that applies to the student’s chosen program of study.
- Be college ready on placement or completion of entry-level, college-level mathematics and English.
- Be classified as a Nevada resident for tuition purposes.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 8,500 or less. EFC is subtracted from Cost of Attendance to determine someone’s financial need.
- Meet institutional Title IV financial aid satisfactory academic progress requirements.
For individuals who meet the criteria for SSOG funding and are not enrolled at WNC, they must apply to WNC, take a placement test, attend an orientation session and meet with a counselor so they can register for the 2018 fall semester.
To learn more about the process of applying for financial aid, go to www.wnc.edu/financial/aid/.
For information about becoming a student at WNC, go to www.wnc.edu/starthere/.or information about becoming a student at WNC, go to www.wnc.edu/starthere/.