The City of Fernley has a vacancy for a Permit Technician in the Building Department.
Under general supervision, receives, logs, and distributes building plans for plan checking; checks and reviews permit applications and supporting documents for proper form, sufficiency of information, and conformance with legal standards; issues permits as authorized.
Permit Technician is distinguished from the Administrative Specialist series by the requirement to apply specialized knowledge concerning all types of building codes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. Assists the public in acquiring the necessary information regarding the process to follow and identifying the agencies that must be contacted in order to be in compliance with the planning, zoning, and building regulations; explain the rules, regulations, and procedures to potential applicants and the general public; answers questions and provides information regarding current procedures.
2. Receives and reviews relevant documents, applications or records; creates files and routes relevant documents, applications or records for review, comments, and approval.
3. Confirms that all required documents, plans, specifications, forms, and supporting materials have been submitted; advises of any omissions and potential revisions based upon a technical review of the packet of materials assembles; calculates fees and other costs associated with the process and collects fees; issues permits that do not require technical review by the Building Official.
4. Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls and takes messages and schedules appointments; types correspondence and communicates with appropriate parties concerning a variety of departmental issues; maintains the accounting records for the department; receives and processes payments; closes out cash drawer; assists in the preparation of the annual budget.
5. Compiles materials for meetings; may prepare agendas and attend such meetings to take summary notes as required; provides clerical support to one or more committees, boards, or commissions; and maintains files.
6. Opens and distributes mails, processes outgoing mail, prepares requisitions, and performs other general office support services.
7. Operated standard office equipment, including computers and associated software, copy machines, and telephones.
8. Respond to both internal and external customers with professional telephone etiquette and deliver excellent customer service.
9. Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Possession of a valid Nevada driver’s license. Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent plus three (3) years of varied clerical office experience including one (1) year of experience performing clerical duties directly related to building permitting and/or plan review. ICC Permit Technician Certification preferred.
How To Apply: submit a completed application to: Human Resources, 595 Silver Lace Blvd, Fernley NV 89408. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only the most qualified applicants will be interviewed. For questions, contact Shannon McKnight at 775-784-9863 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The City of Fernley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.