Courtesy Taylor Allison, Lyon County
On Thursday, January 4, 2024, the Lyon County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) re-appointed Dave Hockaday as Chair and Wes Henderson as Vice Chair to kick off the first Commission meeting of the New Year. In addition, Commissioners heard and unanimously approved a Tiny Homes Ordinance amending Lyon County Title 15 – Land Use and Development Code related to Accessory Dwelling Units, Chapter 15.355.03.A.
Lyon County Sheriff’s Office Presents Retirement Plaque
Sheriff Brad Pope presented Sergeant Lopez with a retirement plaque after 26 years of dedicated service to the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office.
Other BOCC Action Items
Commissioners also took action on the following items:
· Approved a contract for Lyon County Sheriff’s Office to provide dispatch services for Rural Medevac Alliance (RMA) at the rate of $1,150 per month for an initial four years with an optional renewal for an additional four years.
· Appointed Brittnee Somers to the Central Lyon County Park Advisory Board with a term expiring December 31, 2024.
· Approved to change the meeting day of the Silver City Advisory Board to the third Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm.
· Approved the purchase of ten replacement vehicles for the Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $700,000 to be funded from a budget transfer from the General Fund contingency. Comptroller Josh Foli reported in a previous meeting, Lyon County was facing challenges with several patrol vehicles exceeding their mileage and mechanical lifespan.
· Approved a contract with Prism Systems Corporation in the amount of $145,400 to upgrade the existing door and camera control system in the Justice Complex at 911 Harvey Way, Yerington.
· Directed the Lyon County Manager to continue working on the Lyon County Lands Bill, including consolidating the North and South proposed Lands Bill maps into one comprehensive County Lands Bill.
· Conducted the County Manager’s annual performance evaluation and approved a merit increase in the amount of 2.5% of his base salary.
2024 Commissioner and Staff Appointments
The BOCC appointed County Commissioners and staff to the following Boards, Commissions, and Committees for Calendar year 2024:
Comstock Historic District: Commissioner Hendrix
Debt Management Commission: Commissioner Jacobson
Dayton Valley Conservation District: Commissioner Henderson
Mason Valley Conservation District: Commissioner Hockaday
Smith Valley Conservation District: Commissioner Hockaday
Nevada Association of Counties:
1. Board of Directors: Commissioner Henderson (Primary), Commissioner Keller (Alternate)
2. Legislative Committee: Commissioner Henderson, Commissioner Keller
3. Public Lands and Natural Resources Committee: Commissioner Hendrix, Commissioner Keller
Local Emergency Planning Committee: Commissioner Hockaday
Northern Nevada Development Authority: Commissioner Keller, County Manager Haskin
Nevada WORKS: Commissioner Jacobson
Walker River Irrigation District: Commissioner Hockaday
Carson Water Subconservancy District: Commissioner Hendrix
Lyon County Room Tax Board: Commissioner Jacobson, Commissioner Keller
Quarterly Jail Inspection: Commissioner Hockaday
Truckee Canal Safety Commission: Commissioner Jacobson
Regional Transportation Commission: Commissioner Keller
Quad County Legislative Coalition: Commissioner Hockaday/Commissioner Henderson
Carson Area Metropolitan Planning Organization: Commissioner Henderson
State Land Use Planning Agency: Commissioner Henderson
Nevada Commission of the Aging: Commissioner Hendrix
Intergovernmental Executive Committee: Commissioner Keller (Primary) County Manager Haskin (Alternate)
Nevada Local Justice Reinvestment Coordinating Council: District Attorney Steve Rye or designee from the District Attorney’s Office
Nevada Public Agency Insurance Pool: Comptroller Josh Foli
Public Agency Compensation Trust: Comptroller Josh Foli
The complete agenda and back up materials are posted online at www.lyon-county.org/Agendacenter. Residents can view previous recordings of Board of County Commission meetings on the Lyon County YouTube Channel.