As a result of warm temperatures and increased snowmelt throughout the region, the California Nevada River Forecast Center is forecasting the Walker River in Mason Valley and Yerington to rise near moderate flood stage by this Sunday, May 21. The community should prepare for high flows to continue on both forks and mainstem of the Walker River for several weeks. The Lyon County Board of County Commissioners met Thursday, May 18, to approve a declaration of emergency, which allows the County to quickly respond to potential flooding in the community.
Lyon County is also leaning forward by organizing a community sandbag event on Saturday, May 20. Residents are encouraged to visit one of the community self-fill sandbag locations:
· Fire Station #35 – 231 Corral Dr., Dayton, NV 89403
· Fire Station #39 – 460 Dayton Valley Rd., Dayton, NV 89403
· City of Fernley Out of Town Park, Farm District Road and Highway 95A, Fernley, NV 89408 (East end of Rodeo Grounds)
· Mound House Fire Station – 56 Red Rock Rd., Mound House, NV 89706
· Silver City Community Center – 385 High St., Silver City, NV 89428
· Silver Springs JPO Office – 1075 Pyramid Ave., Silver Springs, NV 89429
· Smith Valley – 2308 NV-208, Smith, NV 89430 (by the Post Office)
· Dressler Park Community Arena – 2715 Hwy 208, Wellington, NV 89444
· Stagecoach Community Center – 8105 US-50, Stagecoach, NV 89429
· City of Yerington Public Works 215 Towbridge Rd, Yerington, NV 89447 (behind Raleys)
· Lyon County Roads Yard – 18 Hwy 95A North, Yerington, NV 89447
· Mason Town Hall building – 55 Bridge Street, Mason, NV 89447
· Lyon County Fairgrounds – 100 US Highway 95A E, Yerington, NV 89447
Please bring your own shovel. Pre-filled sandbags will be available thanks to volunteers on a first come, first served basis at the Mason Town Hall location (55 Bridge Street, Mason, NV 89447). Volunteer organizations interested in participating in the community sandbag event, please email email@example.com or call (775) 301-7289.
Additional information, including how to fill and place sandbags, is available on the 2023 Flood Information page of the Lyon County website.