Governor’s Points of Light Awards accepting nominations
The Fernley Reporter
Nevada Volunteers, the Governor’s Commission on Service, is accepting nominations for the 2017 Governor’s Points of Light Awards beginning May 1. The Governor’s Points of Light Awards celebrate the extraordinary volunteer efforts of Nevadans and is the highest volunteer honor bestowed by Nevada Volunteers and the State. Nominations will be accepted through May 31st for extraordinary volunteers, volunteer managers, and volunteer programs. Three finalists from each category, selected by a panel of judges, will be recognized at the Governor’s Points of Light Awards Ceremony this fall in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Nomination categories are:
· Northern Nevada Individual Volunteer
· Southern Nevada Individual Volunteer
· Rural Nevada Individual Volunteer
· Nonprofit or Community Organization Volunteer Program
· Corporate or Business Volunteer Program
· Volunteer Program Serving Veterans
· Volunteer Manager
“The Governor’s Points of Light Awards showcases how in every corner of our state people are coming together to help others and improve our communities. I hope you will join me in recognizing the countless individuals and organizations serving Nevada by submitting a nomination in May for the Governor’s Points of Light Awards.” said Governor Brian Sandoval
Nomination criteria include individuals and organizations in Nevada who through volunteerism:
1) Show achievement that is exemplary, far exceeds expectations, and is measurable.
2) Address a need not previously met in the community.
3) Demonstrate innovation by applying a new solution to an existing social program.
4) Exemplify mobilization by empowering the community to support the program or event as demonstrated by the quantity or quality of volunteers.
5) Show endurance or sustainability by developing a long-term solution to significant social issues through hands-on volunteer service. The service must be direct and ongoing, rather than a one-time activity, except for short-term crisis situations.
Nominations are due prior to 11:59 P.M. PST on May 31st and can be submitted at bit.ly/2017GPOL. Individuals submitting nominations should be aware that finalists are required to attend the Governor’s Points of Light Award Ceremony. Organizations and individuals being nominated should notify Nevada Volunteers if travel assistance is requested.