Condie named one of NIAA NIAA/One Nevada Top 10 Student-Athletes of the Year
Robert Perea, The Fernley Reporter
Fernley’s Celeste Condie was named one of the Top 10 student athletes of the year in Northern Nevada by the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association.
Condie was one of 20 students awarded $1,000 in scholarship funds by the NIAA and One Nevada Credit Union for the NIAA/One Nevada Top Ten Student-Athletes of the Year Awards.
The student-athletes of the year awards are presented to the top students who excel in sports, maintain a high academic status, and volunteer in their community. The annual northern Nevada and southern Nevada awards banquets have been canceled to prevent the spread of COVID-19, but the winners will still be presented with a $1,000 scholarship and special commemorative program at special presentations throughout the state later this month.
“The spirit of the Silver State is embodied in high school athletics and activities,” Bart Thompson, Executive Director of the NIAA said. “The Top Ten winners we honored this year have achieved and maintained an exceptionally high level of excellence in all aspects of their lives. These will be our future leaders. They were dealt a horrible blow at the conclusion of their high school career. They have risen up and they move forward. They will continue to make a positive difference in our communities.”
“We’re proud to celebrate these student-athletes for their outstanding achievements,” said Paul Parrish, One Nevada President and CEO. “It’s profoundly unfortunate that many student-athletes missed out on their last sports season. Still, we’re inspired by their perseverance to continue being outstanding students while giving back to their communities. That’s why we’re so pleased to award each of them a college scholarship in support of their education journey.”
2020 NIAA / One Nevada Top Ten Student-Athletes of the Year
Northern Nevada Top Ten Student-Athletes of the Year
- Celeste Condie, Fernley High School
- Jesus Gonzalez, West Wendover High School
- Jefferson Guthrie, Spring Creek High School
- Gabriela Haag, Reed High School
- Melissa Lackore, Smith Valley High School
- Tommy McCormick, Churchill County High School
- Lauren Muff, Galena High School
- Donovan Ratfield, Wooster High School
- Ashby Trotter, Churchill County High School
- Drue Worthen, Reno High School
Southern Nevada Top Ten Student-Athletes of the Year
- Taylor Bair, Foothill High School
- Gabriel Belt, Needles High School
- Zachary Billot, Spring Valley High School
- Russell Bodily, Moapa Valley High School
- Ladd Cox, Boulder City High School
- Jenifer Thanh Do, Spring Valley High School
- Nathalie Lagamayo, Virgin Valley High School
- Grant Odegard, Pahrump Valley High School
- Vanessa Sanchez, Chaparral High School
- Sadie Soderborg, Lincoln County High School
For more information about the NIAA/One Nevada Top Ten Student-Athletes of the Year awards, visit http://niaa.com/awards/Top_Ten/files/TOP_TEN_MAIN.