Robert Perea, The Fernley Reporter
Residents who would like to understand how city government works can learn about it firsthand. The City of Fernley is hosting its annual Fernley Citizens Leadership Academy, beginning on Jan. 20.
The Citizens Academy is a seven-week free workshop where residents can learn about the City of Fernley government structure, City departments, and programs and services provided by the City of Fernley. In addition, residents can meet with elected officials and City staff.
The workshops will be held in Council Chambers at City Hall on Thursday evenings from 6–8 p.m. through March 3. Each week will feature a different City department.
This year’s academy dates are as follows:
• Jan. 20 (City Manager/City Council/Lyon County Human Services)
• Jan. 27 (City Clerk/City Treasurer)
• Feb. 3 (City Attorney/Municipal Court))
• Feb. 10 (Building/Planning Departments
• Feb. 17 (Public Works)
• Feb. 24 (Public Works/City Engineering)
• March 3 (Lyon County Sheriff’s Office/Lyon County School District/Fire District. Community Services/Volunteer Fair) Plus graduation and pizza.
Space is limited, so anyone interested is asked to sign up early by calling the city manager’s office at (775) 784-9858.
The Citizens Leadership Academy of Fernley is sponsored by the Fernley Chamber of Commerce and the City of Fernley.